I
wish I could say that I had stronger feelings about public exploitation in the
marketing industry. I tend to normally be a very passive person as it is, not
really showing my concern or confronting an issue that might bother me. The
only thing that I did find a little sad was when that young lady was talking
about being a “#1 Hunger Games fan”. It is true, some people are putting in
more effort to be noticed and appreciated in comparison to people like me, who
tweet about pizza and retweet dog videos. When Jason Calicanis talks about
being one or two steps behind celebrities when it comes to our contribution
towards the digital world, I can’t really say that I consider myself to be
anywhere near the same fame level as Jennifer Lawrence or Tom Brady. Yes,
ultimately we all share the same network – some just have more fans than
others. Although I am a personal publisher whether that be Facebook or Twitter, I am still an audience. But then again, so is Brady. If anything, I would
agree that the UGC 2.0 (user generated content) is in a whole new ballpark when
it comes to empowerment. Referring back to BuzzFeed, BuzzFeed offers their
users a chance to put their best foot forward and contribute to their world
through “BuzzFeed Community” where anybody can write a post and have it be
viewed by other BuzzFeed visitors. It’s a whole new way of marketing their
business (through non-marketing) as Calicanis would say. Allowing the public to
be their own voice makes it easier for the companies to get an insight on what
consumers really want.
I agree that companies listening to the public's voice is a good thing, as long as they really listen to the input, instead of just cherry-picking it for confirmation bias.
ReplyDelete