Sunday, May 3, 2015

Letters to a Young Contrarian: Chapter 9

"I do not envy believers their faith. I am relieved to think that the whole story is a sinister fairy tale; life would be miserable if that the faithful affirmed was actually the case." (Hitchens, 55)

After taking my World Literature class and reading the ENTIRE book of Genesis, I think I would have to agree. I have nothing against the Christian religion, and maybe it's because this was my first time reading the bible and it was ridiculously long, but the bible has a lot of ridiculous expectations from humans. Fearing "God" was more important than praising "him" for the good things that he would offer for his people, please. People are also reluctant to believe in the powers of religion when it's constantly being shoved down your throat. Abortion is against the will of God, drinking and indulging will result in a lifetime in hell. "Do this and you'll be sinned, do that and you will be rewarded", it's all repetitive and tiring. People just want to live their own lives. For once, I think I actually appreciate this point that Hitchens is trying to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment