"We are an adaptable species and this adaptability has enabled us to survive. However, adaptability can also constitute a threat; we may become habituated to certain danger and fail to recognise them until it's too late." (Hitchens, 51)
Similar to my previous post, I find that when Hitchens tries to make points I often mistake his words for another meaning. He might actually be talking about the way evolution works on humans. How we evolved and adapted according to certain conditions that happen over time. I see the words "adapt" differently. When adaptability poses a threat, it often has to do with comfortability in relationships. It could be a friendship, or a romantic relationship. After some time one of or both of those people will get so comfortable that it becomes toxic. Ask any teenage girl who's been heart broken. She'll tell you that he was so sweet, she never saw it coming. She wasn't looking out for the signs of a stone cold killer (just kidding). But really! Like Hitchens like, "we may become habituated to certain danger and fail to recognise them until it's too late." Often times, people who are caught up in the honeymoon phase fail to see what comes next - reality. Life isn't sugar coated, and I'm glad Hitchens pointed this out. Or then again, maybe he was talking strictly neanderthals.
No comments:
Post a Comment