Thursday, April 30, 2015

Letters to a Young Contrarian: Chapter 6

"You can't hope to change human nature...because nature is given." (Hitchens, 41)

I'm sure Hitchens means this in the most vague way possible, but with everything that is happening with Bruce Jenner - I can't help but form an opinion on gender equality. Most of the time I try not to involve myself with heated disputes on what is right and what is wrong. Of course I have taken a stance long before I realized the seriousness of the issue, and that is my belief on humans being born with their preferences, their feelings, what makes them happy. What makes one person better than another? Is it success, sexual preference, experience, what they choose to say and express? Hitchens is totally right, at least in terms of how I took his words. Nature is given, no one should try to change another person's nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment