Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Collaboration

Although I didn't need The Internship to help me realize this, willingness to accept is important when trying to understand one another in a group project. It's easy to look someone in a collaboration and assume that we can analyze their weaknesses, but we also have to give them a chance to show off their strengths. For the young interns in the movie, it was difficult for them to accept the older generation of men as they did not have the same knowledge in technology as the kids did. At Google, this kind of knowledge seems especially important. I've always wanted to work for BuzzFeed, so I followed the path of media studies in communications. My sister always told me to set myself apart from everyone else. If there is no spice to what I have to offer, what makes me any different from all of the other candidates? Same goes for Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn's characters. They may have lacked the knowledge in modern day technology, but they excelled in face-to-face communication and sales. If "Team Lyle" didn't give them a chance, they never would have gotten a chance to see what they could bring to the table. 

I thought the film depicted Google's core values very well. Under Google's #5 "Don't take success for granted", the core values suggest that one constantly thinks like an underdog. I always appreciate someone who is well-rounded and humble about their success. People who brag about how awesome they are are probably the most annoying people on the planet - just like that British guy in the film. They depicted the challenging but energetic work environment very well, and I hope the Google offices actually have giant slides and napping pods. The goals in the core values are all very ambitious. "Think big and take risks" is a great quote to live by if one expects to go any where in life. To support one another in the work environment as well as with personal goals is also one of the best aspects that Google has as well, and this is also heavily influenced in the movie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment